Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Art of Thankfulness

In my prayer journal, I like to use Thursdays as my day to especially consider what "great things God has done" in my life.  It is more than just listing all the things I am thankful for or "counting your blessings," as it were, but actually making an effort to stop (yeah, that's not always easy with two year old running around like a wild man) and consider how God is at work around us.

As a Christian, I believe the thing I am most thankful for is the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross and my personal relationship with Him.  With that in perspective, everything else lines up accordingly - my husband, my son, my family, my church.  It all takes a back seat to the One who died for me. 

I know, probably not what you have been hearing in this month in which we celebrate Valentine's Day.  It is all about L-O-V-E, right?  Hey, I like roses, romance, and the occasional chic flick just as much as the next girl.  But that can become an idol to me if it becomes more important than my Savior.

So I was thinking along those lines, and I thought I could also come up with creative ways to remind myself about the most important things I am grateful for.  I am going to call it the art of thankfulness.  It may be Scripture, encouraging quotes, hymns, stories, or even pictures.  I'll post more about this next Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please don't forget to leave your name :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...