Friday, February 3, 2012

Quieting a Noisy Soul study - Week 1


Matthew 11:28-30
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle 
and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.


So what is a noisy anyway?

That was what I looked at in my first week in Jim Berg's study Quieting a Noisy Soul.  All of us have "noise" in our souls that keeps getting louder and more cluttered until it is next to impossible to hear the "still small voice" of God speaking in our hearts.  Berg points out that the noise can come in many forms such as anxiety, fear, bitterness, guilt, addictions, entertainment, and even possessions, to name a few.  Anything which takes up our thoughts and meditations of our heart is just noise.  Is anything "disturbing your soul, robbing it of rest/peace?" (Berg, p.1)


When I consider the verse above, amid the backdrop of the noise I observe in myself, I can see how having a "noisy soul" is not God's intention for Christians.
I know I crave more of that "rest" He is talking about.
How about you?



*I am in no way associated with Jim Berg or Journeyforth Press, and am receiving absolutely no compensation for my review of these materials.  The thoughts and opinions expressed on my blog are completely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please don't forget to leave your name :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...