Monday, March 5, 2012

I have been a little busy lately

 So this is what has taken up a good bit of my free time lately.  I made a birthday cake for a man in our church who turned 60!  Now if you have made cakes or even have just seen a lot of cakes, you can kind of guess it would be  tricky to make a birthday cake, for a guy, that doesn't look too "kiddie."  So no flowers on this cake!

Oh, yeah, in case you can't read the writing on the bottom tier, it says, "It's all about me."  Trust me, pretty funny, for those of us who know him.

The final product didn't take up that much time, but I spent a while testing some new recipes.  I liked the recipes I have used in the past, but I didn't love them.  So -- here is the finished product.

I was a little nervous about this cake because it is covered with buttercream instead of the fondant I am used to.  But I had fun with it.  The bottom tier is a double layer chocolate cake recipe with chocolate filling.  I found the cake recipe here and the chocolate filling here.  I recommend making the cake at least a day ahead of time as it really does make it taste better.


The top tier was made from the vanilla cake recipe from Buddy Valastro's Cake Boss book.  Mmmm, it was fun to make the Italian custard cream that goes in the batter.

The whole thing was covered in buttercream and the figures were made out of fondant.

Well, to be technical, the bucket truck is made out of Rice Krispie treats covered in fondant.  (note, I think the kids at this birthday party fought over who was going to take that home, haha, who would have guessed?)

The little man is holding a fishing pole made from a pretzel stick and dental floss (unused, mind you), and the ponds are made with piping gel, sprinkled brown sugar to look like sand, and of course, goldfish.

I just do this stuff for fun, but if you have any questions about a cake you might be working on, just leave me a comment and I'll try to help you out.  I have learned by trial and error, but mostly error.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please don't forget to leave your name :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...