Friday, March 9, 2012

Quieting a Noisy Soul Study: Week 3


So we do not lose heart.  
Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.   
For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things seen but to the things that are unseen.  
For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18 ESV

I am really enjoying this study through Jim Bergs study called Quieting a Noisy Soul: Overcoming Guilt, Anxiety, Anger, and Despair.  This week's session focused mainly on a broad overview of the Biblical way to handle the stress (or "pressures" as Berg calls it) we encounter.

Have you ever noticed how some days go better than others because of how we started.  If I get up (preferably before my toddler), have my quiet time reading the Bible and praying and preparing - I am better able to handle the day.

If I lay in bed until the absolute last second, race to get ready, and run out the door to wherever I need to go (you fill-in-the-blank --- work, appointment, school) I am more likely to "snap" when something seemingly minor happens.

I call this the "duh" chapter. I say that not because it is easy, but because we all know to do these things he lists, we just don't always do them.

  • we need to properly take care of our bodies through diet and exercise
  • our relationships with both God and others are vital
A person who subsists on junk food, avoids physical activity, neglects their walk with God, and squanders precious relationships with others, should not be surprised when they are unable to handle the pressures of life.

This is just basic stuff, but we have to get the basics and build that foundation before we (or the person you may be counseling) can face the bigger, more challenging stuff such as will be covered later in this study.


*I am in no way associated with Jim Berg or Journeyforth Press, and am receiving absolutely no compensation for my review of these materials.  The thoughts and opinions expressed on my blog are completely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please don't forget to leave your name :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...