Monday, June 18, 2012

Resting in Him

"If you're worried, and you can't sleep, just count your blessings instead of sheep."

I love that, can you almost hear Bing Crosby in "A White Christmas" crooning away? 

There's a lot of truth to that, you know. I find that what often keeps me up at night is exactly the opposite.  I am recounting events of the day (should I have said that?) or even worse worrying about the future (as if I could change it).

And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? Mt. 6:27 NASB

See, it doesn't do any good to worry, but often I think that somehow it will.  Maybe I can think of a way to change my circumstances, I think.

And why are you worried about clothing?  Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.  But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!  Mt. 6:28-30 NASB

Comforting words of Christ Himself, wouldn't you say.  God will take care of us.  I can leave it all in His very capable hands.

So when that anxiety creeps back up on you and you are laying in bed staring at the alarm clock telling you it is only 3 a.m. - do you just start "counting your blessings" like reciting some magic spell?  Well, yes and no.  You can start doing that (and certainly we are to be thankful people), but what happens when you run full circle and your problems are staring you back in the face.  

This is when you rest on your view of God. 

Think about it.  What you think of God will shape your beliefs which will guide your actions.  This is the time to remember that He is in control.  He loves us with an incredible love.  He forgives us when we come to Him in repentance (yeah, He forgives it ALL).  Mark these passages in your Bible that tell about the character of our God.  Get to know Him in prayer and through the truth only found in His Word. 

Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, 
and you will find rest for your souls. 
 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Mt. 11:28-30 NASB

Rest is not truly all we are after, is it?  We long for the "rest for your souls" that Jesus has offered.  And it is ours for the taking.  The Christian life was not meant to be a heavy burden.  Christ has offered to sustain us through whatever trial may be keeping us up at night.  Will you trust Him with it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please don't forget to leave your name :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...