Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Book Review for The Handy Guide to New Testament Greek by Douglas S. Huffman



I have asked my sweet husband (aka "preacher man") to write the review for this book since I figured his opinion would be better since he works in the Bible's original languages on an almost daily basis.  My knowledge of the Greek language, on the other hand, is just enough to "make me dangerous" (hahahaha). . .so here is his take on the book.
        
    Huffman, who is a professor of Biblical and Theological studies at Biola, has put together an extremely helpful little work for the student of New Testament Greek or the Pastor who is trying to shake the rust off. The book has all the features of a work in this genre: it is brief, has nice, glossy, full color pages, lots of charts with clear explanations, and is well-organized. 

The key to this small book (112 pages) is understanding its purpose. Readers looking for a full-fledged Greek course in grammar or syntax or a refresher course in either will not find it here. Once that is understood, the book fills a much needed role in the life of the pastor (I know because I am one!). Beginning with the alphabet and going through noun and verb declensions in part one, Huffman also has a very helpful Syntax reminder section in part two that covers case, verb usage, the article, and conditional sentences. Part three goes over diagramming, and the book closes with a help helpful little section on resources for further study. 

While I keep my Greek grammars, lexicons, and syntax manuals on my book shelf, this volume is practical and handy enough to keep on my desk along with my Greek New Testament. It fills a very specific role in my weekly sermon preparation and Greek review. Overall, the book does just what it claims to do and will prove very helpful to those who have a background in Greek but need a handy reminder of some of the basic ins and outs of grammar and syntax! 

I give Huffman's work 5 out of 5 stars.

I received a free copy of this book from Kregel Publishers in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please don't forget to leave your name :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...