Saturday, January 19, 2013

Don't give up

This year I wrote out a list of goals for myself, much like I do every year.  I pray over this as I feel the goals I set can set the tone for the year. 
I want them to be challenging yet not overwhelming.

But there is one exception. . .

I want to memorize the book of Colossians. Did you know that you can memorize the entire book by learning just 2 verses each week?  That doesn't sound so hard, at least not in the little chunks.  I have been so impressed with the need for Scripture memory in my life.   I was inspired by this post.

But already I am struggling.  I am not good at memorizing things, or at least that is what I keep telling myself --- see how the negative self-talk creeps up on you.  We don't really need Satan to whisper in our ears, we do a good enough job all our own of convincing ourselves something can't be done.

So, if you, like me, have set a worthy goal for yourself in the new year and have already reached the point of discouragement. 

Then don't give up. 


You may just memorize those verses, or lose those twenty pounds, or finally kick that habit, or save enough money to buy that first home, or insert goal you think is nigh impossible here.

BECAUSE-----

"Is anything too hard for the Lord?"  Trouble is I often think I can do this Christian life thing on my own.  What God really wants is our admission that we are totally dependent on Him. 

So it is really about the journey and not so much the destination.  We will look back on our efforts to reach a particular goal, realize that point when we finally allowed Him to carry us through to completion, and be grateful that we can see His hand working in our lives.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please don't forget to leave your name :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...