Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Book Review: Who Do You Think You Are? by Mark Driscoll




After reading another of Driscoll’s books, Real Marriage, I sort of told myself that I wouldn’t waste my time reading any more of his stuff.  Not that it was a bad read, I just didn’t understand why it was so popular when I feel that there are plenty of other books on the topic that are way better.  

But. . .
Here I am reading his newest book Who Do You Think You Are? which is basically a study of finding our identity in Christ as outlined in Ephesians.  The book contains 16 chapters which finish the sentence “I am _____” (e.g. reconciled, gifted, new, forgiven, and so on).  

He contends that we as believers in Jesus Christ must understand our identity in Him and that understanding that concept will enable us to “discover the power and joy that is found only in an identity founded and sustained in and by Jesus.”  Sounds great, and I really had high hopes for this book.  

But I found myself confused while trying to follow his train of thought.  Instead of 16 chapters flowing from the book of Ephesians, it seemed somewhat disjointed.  Some of the chapters fit nicely in the study and I definitely thought he brought up some good points.  But quite a number of chapters didn’t seem to fit into the general purpose of his book.  I mean, really, in the chapter “I am afflicted” he listed 14 types of affliction.  And as another example, the chapter “I am appreciated” is a nice concept but I didn’t see this as a necessarily Biblical concept.  

I would be remiss if I neglected to note that his language is a bit “coarse” sometimes. It wasn’t a huge deal, but enough for me to notice.  So I asked my husband about it and he said “oh, yeah, he is the cursing preacher.”

WHAAAAAT!

Does anyone else see this as a problem?  I thought my husband was joking, but I looked it up online and sure enough. . .

Anyway, back to this review.  In a general sense I agreed with his premise, but there were a few areas of pretty major disagreement.  For one, he is reformed (which kind of made me chuckle that he “announced” it in the book) and I am not, so I took major issue with a quote from Spurgeon that he included.  Secondly, I have strong disagreement with his chapter “I am gifted” mostly because he would hold that tongues and faith healing still exist today.  So I have listed my bias, and humbly realize that others will not agree with me.  If it were just these points of disagreement, I would say that I could still read the book and gain from it.  However, I just didn’t think he brought much new insight to the topic.   
In short I was disappointed.

I give this book 3 out of 5 stars.

I received a free copy of this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers in exchange for a fair and honest review.


1 comment:

  1. Driscoll seems to revel in his reputation for being "edgy" and he's been called out on it by a few renowned pastors in reformed circles. He's here in the Seattle area and I find him to be arrogant and rather annoying. When people know you for your schtick and not your character, there's a problem.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! Please don't forget to leave your name :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...