Sunday, March 3, 2013

Day 3 Early to Rise Challenge: Get Real!


So after failing miserably 2 days in a row, I stepped back and thought a little about this whole getting up early challenge thing.  What is the point?  Why am I doing this?  Am I attempting to be super-mom?  If so, I will continue to be disappointed.  Am I setting up unrealistic goals for myself and thereby setting myself up for failure.

Consider,

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Cor. 10:31

How does whether I get up early in the morning bring glory to God?  That is just something to consider.  I don't have a fully thought out answer on it yet.  Maybe instead of tackling this challenge, I  need to find out how much sleep my body needs, and then find the best time to go to sleep/rise in the morning.  Then I can start my day with the Lord so that my focus is on Him from the very beginning.

Nobody ever wants to think of themselves as lazy, especially not us moms.  I mean, it is not like we were sitting up last night, eating popcorn, and watching the latest chick flick till the wee hours of the morning.  No, we got up with our child that was sick in the middle of the night, spent extra time talking to/praying for that friend going through a tough time, and stayed up late trying to get caught up on the mound of dishes in the sink (and on the counters, and spilling onto the stove. . .been there).  Me, lazy?

As a door turns on its hinges, so does a sluggard on his bed. Proverbs  26:13

I don't think this verse is referring to someone who has been working hard and is awakened from a sound sleep.  It is the one who keeps turning back and forth, deciding if they are going to get up or stay snuggled under the covers for another half hour.  I am firmly convinced that for most of us, the only one who knows whether we are lazy in our sleep habits is us (and God).  Chew on that for a while.

For me, I am finding that part of this challenge is forcing me to change when I sleep and not necessarily how much I sleep.  I will not get any more time in my day by getting up earlier, because I will need to get to bed earlier to make up for it.  But, my most productive time is when I first get up.  Makes sense - that is when we are fresh and alert.  By getting up earlier, I am taking control of the day instead of letting the day take control with all the things that seem urgent.

So last night I decided to follow some advice from Andy's book and set my alarm for a half hour later than what I had been setting it.  Again, the goal is not to be the best-mom-on-the-block.

Guess what!

Today I finally got up early.

And I will be continuing to set realistic goals for myself.  Because the ultimate goal is to bring glory to God, plain and simple.  (But often the "simplest" things can be the most difficult.)  It will require a life totally dependent on Him.

If you want to join in on this challenge check out Crystal's blog moneysavingmom.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please don't forget to leave your name :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...