Friday, March 29, 2013

Early to Rise Challenge: Share what you have been doing!

So this challenge is coming quickly to an end.  And many of us have been trying to see this challenge through to the end - really in the hopes of developing a lasting habit.

 I think we all see the benefits to getting up early.  I love to spend those first moments of the morning meditating on Scripture and praying. That way my focus is on Christ from the very beginning while I am alert.  Otherwise I have to fit that into another part of my day when I am either distracted or sleepy.

So I tried. . .

and tried. . .

and tried.


And it really didn't hit me until the beginning of the week.  My husband woke up and said "my throat is killing me." 
Seriously, it was at that point I thought, you know what, my throat has been hurting me for a while.

You see we are "busy" doing ministry stuff.  We have two little ones - a VERY busy preschooler and a baby.  Come on moms, you know how it is.

You are probably thinking, how did you not know you were sick.  Well, I did, I just kept pushing it to the back of my mind, since it wasn't too bad.

What I didn't realize was how much my energy has been drained.  Lightbulb.  Waking up early has been more than challenging.

And yes, we ALL went to the doctor this week.  And though I hate dislike taking medicine, the doctor told me I would be starting to feel better by Friday.

Guess what.  I woke up feeling a little better this morning.

So this challenge has sort of highlighted something I have been pondering this month - the importance of taking care of self.  I'm not talking about spending every waking moment absorbed with my needs/wants - that is selfishness.  BUT - how effective was I at taking care of my family while only running on half my normal energy levels.

So what has this challenge taught you?  What have you been doing with your early mornings?  I would LOVE to hear about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please don't forget to leave your name :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...