Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Gardening: Winter sowing

I think spring has already officially begun, but I brushed the snow off our thermometer to show you - it is still quite cold.

No worries.

Last year, I found this website which explains how to do winter sowing.  The basic idea is to plant seeds inside milk jugs, which will then act as mini greenhouses.  You can put them outside even with snow on the ground.

We planted broccoli and some of our tomatoes this way last year with great success. 

I sort of laugh when I type that, because they looked TERRIBLE for a little while, to the point that I thought everything was dead.

Then we got some extra rain and all the little seedlings perked back up.  A couple weeks later I transplanted them to our garden with no problems.

So this year, I am trying more tomatoes, green peppers, jalapeno peppers (we love salsa), and brussel sprouts.  I will eventually plant some broccoli - I just forgot to pick up the seeds when we were out last.

This should be fun to see how these work out this year.  I am also using some leftover seeds from last year, but since I am starting so early, I figure there isn't much to lose if they don't sprout.  I can always replant a little later.

Have you tried this?  Has anyone else had success with winter sowing?  I would love to hear about it.  Leave your comments below and share what plants you have tried.

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I am looking for! I want to start from seeds, but do not have room to start plants indoors...We can save some milk jugs and try this-
    Thank you!
    Jen N
    (Pastor's Wife in Illinois)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! So glad you found it helpful. I was surprised with how well it worked for us last year and can't wait to see how these grow this year.

      Delete

I love to get comments! Please don't forget to leave your name :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...