Thursday, April 18, 2013

Book Review: The Christian Mama’s Guide to Baby’s First Year by Erin MacPherson



When you pick up a book entitled The Christian Mama’s Guide to Baby’s First Year: Everything You Need to Know to Survive (and Love) Your First Year as a Mom – there are some pretty high expectations.  I’ll give it to this author – this is not a topic that I would want to tackle.  As any mom knows, there are a lot of different opinions out there and a lot of people who want to give you a heaping helping of theirs.

First let me tell you what this book is and then I will give my two cents as to what this book is not. 
  • This book is your best friend giving you the skinny on all things baby, in real life terms.  This book is funny from beginning to end (really, I dare you not to laugh).  This book will give new moms a heads up on many things they will encounter during their baby’s first year in a way that will make them feel like they are not alone.
However. . .

  • This book is NOT an authority on anything medical.  The author has absolutely no medical qualifications which is a fact she often reminds her readers of.  But I still feel she carries a certain amount of responsibility for her advice since it is printed in a book.  MacPherson gets her advice from a variety of sources including her pediatrician, Google, her friends, and her own personal experience.  Sadly, I found myself disagreeing with her at times, mostly because she would sometimes have misinformation about views different than her own.  Her often sort of cute/sort of crude language could be hilarious to some readers, but downright annoying to others.  This book will probably offer very little helpful information for anyone who is not a first time mom. 

Scattered throughout the book there are little sections called “time out for mom” which include a verse of Scripture and a prayer to encourage you as a momma, and at one point the author spends a few pages listing ways that we can teach our children about Jesus.  And thus the “Christian” label on the front cover.

I give this book 3 out of 5 stars.

I received a free copy of this book from Thomas Nelson in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please don't forget to leave your name :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...