Saturday, April 27, 2013

Not Your Typical Amish Fiction



I have sort of a love-hate relationship with Amish fiction.  Sometimes I read one that I really like and other times I read one and think “why do I even read this stuff?”  But Dale Cramer’s Though Mountains Fall (#3 in the Daughters of Caleb Bender series) is quite different from the usual book in this genre.

Caleb Bender has led a group of Amish families to settle in Mexico in the early 1900’s, but this move has not come without its share of terrible loss for his family and the other families with them.  Life is hard for the Amish and their pacifism is starkly different from the vicious Mexican government of that time period.  Through terrible pain, Caleb is forced to evaluate his view of God and what he comes up with will change everything. 

So here are my thoughts on this book (without giving away the story):


  • I was surprised to learn that Mexico wasn’t just a random setting for the book, but that there actually were some Amish who lived in Mexico at that time.  Who knew?  I thought the author did a great job weaving in Mexican customs and creating authentic Mexican characters. 

  • I don’t know enough about the Amish to really understand their beliefs and specifically how they view God.  Several characters in the book wrestle with their views on God’s goodness, forgiveness, and love, but I just wonder what most Amish would actually believe. 


Probably what I liked most in the book were the thought-provoking contrasts he incorporated into the storyline.  The reader is left to ponder the differences between the culture, beliefs, and daily life of the Amish and the Mexicans (and specifically those of the Catholic religion).

5 out of 5 stars

I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please don't forget to leave your name :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...